Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Afghanistan Ministry "Blanket With Love"

"Go and make disciples of all the nations" That was one of the last sermons that was given at Sunnyside before I deployed. I had recently been ordained, but since I am not a chaplain, I wasnt sure what type of ministry I would have over here. But I trusted that God would have something for me, and does he ever. There is a congregation of about 20-40 here on my FOB, and most Sundays the Chaplain delivers the sermon and I lead worship. This week, though I have been given the extra task of leading the weekly Bible study. I will also be delivering the sermons when the Chaplain is not available to do so.
As I was talking to Sarah about this, a thought arose that we should do more with this ministry than simply talk about Christ, but we need to show everyone here what Christ looks like. Sarah is the co-leader of a Women's Christian group back at Ft. Carson, and her group, although just getting started was looking for something to do as well. What Sarah and I came up with was a blanket ministry for the children here.
Afghan winters get very cold, and being that everyone here is basically in poverty, many go without the basic comforts of a warm blanket or hat. The hardest hit by this need though, are the small children, the newborns and the orphans. Together both the women's ministry and I hope to be able to Blanket the Afghanistan With Love. We are still working out the finer details, however; if you want to get involved please, please contact myself or Sarah through blogger or facebook.
This ministry will be one that I intend on keeping when we launch 12:1 Ministries after I return home from Afghanistan next summer.

God Bless
The Rev

1 comment:

  1. Would love to help Mike. Let me know what you need and where to send it

    ReplyDelete