Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Worship Song Guitar Solo

During my second run today, I was listening to my iPod on shuffle again (I am kind of liking this whole getting surprised by my music thing).  As I was listening to another very eclectic, very strange set-list, songs like Drown Me Slowly by Audioslave were mixing with songs like Spirit Fall by Chris Tomlin....not normally two songs that would go well together (they didnt, at all).  But it got me thinking...

Why doesnt worship music translate to normal listening?  Why is it okay for bands like U2 or Eric Clapton to talk about God and faith and praise on top 40 radio, but guys like Chris Tomlin, Jeremy Camp and Third Day dont get airplay on anything but Christian stations, or if you are like many Christians, Sunday morning only.

And then it hit me.  Not only does U2 seriously rock...but it comes down to guitar solos.  There are not nearly enough guitar solos in Christian music.  As a guitarist, I find this very discomforting.  Now, I know what everyone is going to say, that worship music is about everyone singing along and raising their hands and participating.  But hear me out.  How many times do we have singer "soloists" perform a piece for the congregation that people arent expected to sing along with, but marvel at that performers amazing voice and vocal acrobatics?

 (Pillar playing Like a Deer)


What if that guitarist in the band, who is worshipping just as much as the singer were given the freedom to really let go and do a solo in a song?  Why is that so bad?  Wouldnt he be playing his instrument with skill in worship of God?   Wouldn't it add a demension of dynamics and a moment for thoughtful interlude for the congregation?  Just the random thoughts of a guitarist who happens to lead worship from time to time. 

(Pillar playing Come thou Fount)


Think about it, wouldnt Sunday morning worship be that much more awesome if all the 40-50 year old guys in the congregation were playing air guitar to a kick-ass solo?  You KNOW it would!

 (Pillar playing the Doxology)

     \m/  \m/

Next weeks subject...why is Christian music so sissified?

11 miles today,
had a type-o on the shoe mileage last week...they currently stand at 468 miles, not 568.
7 more planned for tomorrow to make 44 miles for the week. On track for a 120-130 mile month.

1 comment:

  1. In my opinion, worship music always sounds "canned," unoriginal and, well, sterile. I've never heard a worship (rock) song that had a really good groove to it or that inspired me to ... listen to more songs by the same musician.

    I've never heard a worship song that made me think, "Man, how'd they do THAT!?!?!"

    Perhaps because they fit first into worship category, they automatically are appealing to the spiritual needs of the listener more than the musical interests of the listener.

    And perhaps that's why there aren't many guitar solos.

    Beyond that, I don't think that it's a genre thing specific to the music type, because I'm pretty broad, I just like music.

    Regardless, this is a conversation I've had with my brother-in-law, who is a full time worship pastor, as well as other friends who really like worship music.

    44 miles in the week, now that certainly rocks! :D

    ReplyDelete